After the shocking event in Christchurch, there will be questions that every school and every family will need to consider. Evidence from previous such incidents is clear, that the more people watch television footage of these events, particularly children, the more likely they are to experience psychological distress, even trauma.
There are some simple ways that parents can support children through these moments:
• Limit exposure to news and media reports on TV, radio and social media: if possible, simply switch off and ensure your children are not seeing or hearing the imagery.
• If they are exposed to the imagery, reassure them that they are safe at home and school
• Comfort them and remind them that these events are extremely rare
• Maintain normal routines and schedules.
• How important it is to express hope in the future and share stories of good things still happening in the world. Stories of good people doing good things are often our best antidote for the destructive and the negative. Click below to continue